What is Gallbladder Surgery?
Gallbladder surgery, also known as cholecystectomy, is a surgical procedure performed to remove the gallbladder. The gallbladder is a small organ located beneath the liver that stores bile, a substance that helps the body digest fat. Gallbladder surgery is typically performed when there are problems with the gallbladder, such as gallstones or inflammation.
Types of Gallbladder Surgery
There are two types of gallbladder surgery:
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: This is the most common type of gallbladder surgery. It is minimally invasive and involves making small incisions in the abdomen through which a laparoscope and surgical tools are inserted to remove the gallbladder.
- Open cholecystectomy: This type of surgery is less common and is usually only performed if there are complications or if the laparoscopic approach is not possible. It involves making a larger incision in the abdomen to remove the gallbladder.
Recovery from Gallbladder Surgery
Recovery from gallbladder surgery is usually quick and most people are able to go home on the same day or the day after the surgery. It is normal to experience some pain and discomfort after the surgery, but this can be managed with pain medication. You may also experience bloating, diarrhea, or constipation in the days and weeks following the surgery.
Why Choose Us for Your Gallbladder Surgery?
At Surgical Associates of Houston, we have extensive experience in performing gallbladder surgery and are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality care. When you choose us for your gallbladder surgery, you can expect:
- Expert care from a skilled surgical team led by Dr. Zhen Fan
- State-of-the-art surgical techniques and technology
- Personalized treatment tailored to your individual needs
- Compassionate support and guidance throughout your recovery